99 facts about Estonia through the eyes of Russians
• 99 facts about Estonia through the eyes of Russians
1. Name the capital of Estonia means "Danish city". Tallinn = Taani (Danish) + linn (city).
2. Although this opinion is the most common, there are options like - "tali linn" ( "winter city") or "talu linn" ( "manor house-castle").
3. And until now, Russian debate on how to correctly write the Tallinn - with one "n" or two "nn" :)
4. Tune the Estonian national anthem has absolutely identical melody with the anthem of Finland.
5. The official language is Estonian.
6. However, in Estonia there is the city in which you need to look dooolgo to hear the Estonian language.
7. And it is very difficult to find a person to about 1985 of the birth, who does not know Russian language.
8. The country is divided into 15 counties.
9. Estonia flag blue, black and white and every color has its own meaning.
10. The blue symbolizes the sky, the sea, lakes and national flower color + symbolizes loyalty to national ideas.
11. Black - the color of earth and national Estonian jackets + a reflection of all the hardships of the Estonian people.
12. White - the color of purity, desire for freedom and the hope for a better future.
13. Individually, all three colors found on the flags of other countries, but in exactly the same structure (but in a different order), only one - the flag of Botswana.
14. In Estonia, there is a category of citizens called "stateless"
15. Even so have a passport (alien's passport).
16. There are a lot of words and names beginning with the letter "s".
17. Estonians has one of the world's largest collections of folk songs.
18. Estonia does not recognize dual citizenship. 19. At the same time all my friends Baltic Jews have Israeli citizenship and citizenship of Estonia.
20. The vast majority of foreigners has no idea that there is a country - after my "Frome Estonia" I usually ask again "Spain?" :)
21. Victory Day is celebrated on 23 June.
22. On three sides of the country's territory is surrounded by water.
23. The composition of Estonia in 1521 included the island.
24. In Estonia, there are 11800 marshes (over 20% of the territory).
25. And more than 1,150 lakes.
26. Church of St. Olaf (Old Town, Tallinn) in the 16th century was the tallest building in the world (159 m).
27. At the moment it has a height of 123, 7 meters.
28. According to the decision of Tallinn City Government, under construction in the city center skyscrapers can not be higher than this.
29. Estonian cuisine is quite specific (my mom still thinks perversion of milk soup with vegetables).
30. One of the three versions states that the Battle of the Ice in 1242 occurred on the territory of Estonia.
31. In Estonia, the world's largest number of meteorite craters.
32. Estonian resorts famous because of therapeutic mud.
33. In winter, the road is not sprinkled with "sand", and granite chips (spring granite chips are collected to use in the following year).
34. The main religion in Estonia - Lutheranism.
35. In the Estonian language as much as 14 cases.
36. And in the Estonian language has no future tense.
37. But there the past three.
38. 99, 9 percent of the country is covered by GSM-net.
39. Estonia - the only country in the world where the number of mobile subscribers exceeds the population. 40. To get a high school education, it is necessary to unlearn 12 years.
41. And in the 10-11-12 classroom are not allowed to leave in the second year.
42. Because you are simply expelled from school.
43. Even if you have health insurance you teeth will be treated only for the money (if you already have 19, and you are not pregnant with a term of more than 12 weeks).
44. Sometimes it is cheaper to get medical care in general not having health insurance.
45. Estonian National flower - cornflower.
46. bird - the swallow.
47. Stone - limestone.
48. It is necessary to separately take the "winter driving" when training for a driving license.
49. And there is no separate rule with a manual gearbox and with a gun - hand over to manual and then we go all my life on what you want.
50. The most accurate anecdote about the Estonian climate:
- Why do not you come on? After all, this was a sunny summer!
- I was working on that day.
51. In Estonia, decided to give an even number of flowers.
52. Valentine's Day is called the Happy Friends.
53. As in any language, in many Estonian word "cut" the ear of the Russian people - despite the fact that I was born here, still do not dare to say a word mudila towards the child (baby, toddler). Although the emphasis is placed and not how you read :)
54. It is very rare to find nestilno dressed woman.
55. It can be natseplen piece of the mattress and a hat with horns, but it will look stylish.
56. Over the long history of wars, Tallinn was never taken by storm.
57. Because Estonians do it passed on agreed terms :)
58. Old Town of Tallinn inscribed on the UNESCO list of cultural attractions. 59. Estonia is competing with Germany for a right to be called the birthplace of marzipan.
60. In Tallinn is the oldest pharmacy in Europe.
61. The most famous ghost in Estonia - the mysterious White Lady.
62. White Lady - a good ghost (helps love), and you can meet her only once a year.
63. Most of the tourists are buying liquor "Vana Tallinn".
64. But few people know that "Kännu kukk" no worse :)
65. Best cool knitted things can be bought in Estonia.
66. Oddly enough, there is an ostrich farm.
67. The highest point of the Baltic States is located in Estonia - Suur Munamägi (318 m).
68. There are many Russian movies filmed on the "Three Musketeers" and "17 Moments of Spring" to "Lilya 4-ever".
69. Estonia regained its independence in 1991.
70. In the same year became a full member of the UN.
71. to join NATO in 2004.
72. And in the same year - joined the European Union.
73. Since 2011 transferred to the euro.
74. The most sold in the past year in the country of the children's book was a book with a funky name "Turd and Spring" :)
75. To date, the tallest building in Estonia - Tallinn TV Tower (312 m).
76. The most expensive car in Estonia - Koenigsegg CCX.
77. Gas from Russia (it is cheaper), can not be sold here.
78. During this hunt and fined.
79. But still plenty of car rides it on the Russian fuel.
80. In Estonia, you can not copy the note.
81. Estonia became the first country in the world where you can vote by mobile phone.
82. Here, the cheapest gas in the EU.
83. In 2011, Tallinn bears the proud title of European Capital of Culture.
84. You pay the so-called parental salary - how much you earned before leaving on maternity leave, and so you will pay up to six childhood. 85. In Estonia, there is a holiday on March 8.
86. There is virtually a clone in May - Mother's Day.
87. But it is March 8 men still pulling armfuls of flowers :)
88. Tallinn has the world's first monument to the "Agent 007".
89. If you do not pay for a few months for their own apartment (not a mortgage, fully paid-bought), you will be thrown out with your own living space actually.
90. Absolutely all dwellings (apartments, houses) are equipped with smoke detectors, so easy to smoke unrealistic (unless pre-pull out the battery sensor).
91. There is a law banning smoking in public places.
92. But if you are a little stand up at any stop, that you not apply "obdymyat".
93. Whatever may be said about the Swiss chocolate - Estonian the most delicious in the world :)
94. The term of service in the Estonian army is 8 months.
95. Skype was founded in Estonia.
96. I'll kill the one who will say "that's why he was so slow" :)
97. The Estonians did not brake, they simply follow the Russian proverb "seven times measure, one - cut" :)
98. I did not sleep until 5 am, only to finish all this nonsense :)
99. Welcome to Estonia!