Interesting facts about the faceted glass
• Interesting facts about the faceted glass
September 11 - the day of faceted glass. No, it's not a joke over drinkers, but a good excuse. Happy birthday this glassware is considered to be September 11, 1943. As history shows, it is the first Soviet faceted glass was released that day at the glass factory in Gus-Crystal.
1. Design Soviet-style glass tumbler credited Vera Mukhina, the author of the monumental composition "Worker and Collective Farm Girl". However, no documentary evidence of this. According to some reports, Ignatyevna developed a form of glass especially for Soviet public catering.
2 "Mukhina" glass, thanks to the smooth ring, marching in a circle and set it apart from the traditional form of cut glass, turned out not only very durable, but also convenient for washing in the dishwasher. Due to this the Soviet glass for many years prescribed in the table and on the railways.
3. And actively used in street vending carbonated beverages.
4. The size of a standard glass tumbler - 65 millimeters in diameter and 90 millimeters in height. The first glass had 16 facets, that is considered a classic of the genre today. There are instances, and with 12 and 14, and 18, and with faces 20 and 17 with edges (but they are not as typical, since produce glasses with an even number of faces easier). At the bottom of the glass is usually extruded price - 7, or 14 cents (cost so much, "the 20-wrenches").
5. With regard to the usual cut-glass beaker (without smooth upper rim), it was known much earlier - during the time of Peter the Great. Testified that the faceted glass emperor presented as unbreakable dishes for drinking alcoholic beverages. The king, who was interested, as we know, the ship business, a gift appreciated by stating that this glass will not fall down on the floor while pitching the ship, and if it falls, it will not break.
6. More recently, 12-sided glass of tea was depicted in a painting of the famous Russian artist Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin "Morning Still Life" (1918). This cookware and became the progenitor of the Soviet faceted glass.
7. The expression "figure for three" is directly connected with the Soviet faceted glass. The fact that up to the rim of the glass in a 200-gram glass is placed exactly 167 grams of vodka - one-third of a half-liter bottle that allows you to share the contents of "conscience."